25 Mar 2020
Dear Business and Community Leaders:
During this unprecedented time, Xcel Energy is working hard to support efforts to protect the people in our communities, states and nation. More than ever, our customers are counting on us to deliver the reliable energy services that are critical to their daily lives and help drive the economy. We know that this is important to you and wanted to share some of what Xcel Energy is doing to respond to COVID-19:
- We have required that all non-critical employees work from home and follow good practices to help control the spread of the virus. Most importantly, for our critical utility workers – those who must keep the lights on and the energy flowing – we have established important new work practices to minimize the risk of exposure to the virus both at our facilities and in the community.
- We are 100% committed to ensuring these critical employees remain healthy as they represent the front line in providing safe and reliable electricity and natural gas service and are also making sacrifices for the good of our entire society.
- We will not disconnect service to any business or residential customer, or be assessing late fees, until further notice. If customers are having difficulty paying their bills, they can contact us, and we will arrange a payment plan.
- We have received multiple reports that scammers are calling or emailing customers impersonating Xcel Energy or collection agencies. Scammers target all customers, but particularly small businesses.
- If you get contacted by someone claiming to be with Xcel Energy, call us at 1-800-895-4999.
- Our self-service website and mobile app continue to operate very well and we have had little to no wait times for calls coming into our Customer Contact Center.
- We have engaged with emergency management teams at the local, regional, state and federal levels and will continue to support our communities’ responses to the pandemic both today and afterwards.
We are confident that we will be able to meet our customers’ energy needs during this difficult time. And we have no doubt that by working together we will weather this crisis and emerge as a stronger, better country.
General Manager, Customer and Community Service
Wisconsin & Michigan